2 Sept 2018

Bicycle Pop Up Card


I love making customised cards for folks I know well -  then I can add little details that make the card extra relevant and special to them.

I made this card on the retirement of a friend and colleague who lives in the area shown on the map. Map publishers are not usually happy for you to copy or reproduce their maps particularly the Ordinance Survey organisation in the UK. I love incorporating maps though, so I purchase second-hand maps, atlases and guide books whenever I can to use in my card making and crafting.



Fortunately, I had two copies of this travel guide, and used the map twice, trimming it to fit and inking the edges to help it blend in with the matting layer.


I added a bicycle (with rotating wheels), and some items that I knew were relevant to the recipient. Namely books, coffee, plants, and a spaniel. I also added geotags, tagging music venues, libraries, coffee shops and garden centres.



This picture, in the early stages, shows how the card is constructed, the base card being an SVG/Studio file by Lori Whitlock. I used the Pop Up Bicycle Box Card, added extra bits and pieces to it.



Well, I hope you like the card, and that it might have inspired you to try out using maps in your card making too. I invite you to follow my blog if you haven't already done so, so that you don't miss future cards and projects.

This card has been entered in the following challenges:
Daring Cardmakers - Travelogue Challenge - 31st August 2018
Crafty Creations Challenges - Anything Goes #373 - 22nd August 2018




14 comments:

Katie said...

Stuning card and love all the different bits.

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is gorgeousssss Janet

gr karin

Sylvia said...

Fabulous card Janet love the card shape and great personalisation for your friend. I have an old road map I use for cards, I love adding them to driving test pass congrats cards. Thank you for joining us this week at Daring Cardmakers.

Sylv xx

Andree said...

A gorgeous card Janet. Fabulously personalised for your friend with all the lovely details xx

Lena said...

Such a sweet and fun card. Love the background paper.
Have a great day.
Hugs,
Lena

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous Janet.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

what a great card shape, loving that bike die cut

Janet Packer said...

Using the maps for driving test pass cards is a great idea Sylvia!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

LOVE the colours and all the perfect details Janet, Great work.
Faith
x

Angelnorth said...

Great personalised card! Love the fact the wheels turn and the use of the maps ( I use old road atlases sometimes, too). Thanks for joining us at Daring Cardmakers this week!

Kate M said...

Stunning Z fold card - your friend will live it with all the personal touches, superb design.
xx

Gwyneth said...

Absolutely great card from the construction to the decoration.
GG

Joy Wilson said...

I love z fold cards that pop up. And that bike is awesome. Thank you for joining us and good luck.
Hugs, Joy
Craftycreationschallenges.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Hart said...

So creative! I love the bike and the travel scene. This is a fantastic card. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Crafty Creations Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)