7 Apr 2018

Print and Cut on dark cardstock with FREE card template


Hiya, today I'm sharing a card that I made a couple of weeks ago for my son's birthday. He's a Chemistry student and I thought that a card spelling out a word using some of the elements from the periodic table would be fun.

As ever, my go to designing tool is the Silhouette Studio software on my computer.  Now, it would have been possible to design the periodic element toppers using a stencil font and using the information from an image of the periodic table from the Internet as a reference.  However, as the posting date was somewhat close I opted to use the Periodic Table Genius design, to make dimensional toppers.  I arranged them onto a landscape card base with the remainder of the sentiment printed on the background using the Silhouette's Print & Cut technology.

I have posted the steps over on the Silhouette UK Blog today, with extra information on using the print and cut method.  I used 12-inch square cardstock in an intense colour, so the tutorial over there concentrates on how to adjust for a 12- inch print and cut, and a strategy to ensure that the registration marks still get picked up despite being printed on darker coloured card (it works for shiny or reflective printing surfaces too).  So head over there for details if you are a Silhouette user. Oh, and there is also a tip for making more economical use of your precious cardstock!



I ALSO have a treat for A4 card users here on Crafting Quine Blog - so don't dash away too soon! The finished card fits a DL, or business-size envelope and when folded is the size of a third of a piece of A4. I'm sharing my cutting file for the card template and you can download it here in SVG format (for Silhouette DE and above as well as other cutting software).

Download the FREE DL Card Template


I'd love to see what you make. Please tag me on social media if you use it @CraftingQuine (Facebook, Instagram, Google+).  Let me know if you find it useful and I'll endeavour to share more files in future.

Files Used:


8 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

fab card Janet
Gr Karin

Jackie T said...

Hi Janet this is a stunning project. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Lou Sims said...

What a brilliant idea; adore. The potential to expand upon the idea is limitless x

Tracy Welham said...

Fabulous card, such a great idea! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Laine said...

Such a fun card Janet!
Laine
x

Jan said...

This is lovely xx Jan

Unknown said...

That's a fabulous card Janet- a really clever idea and one I will remember for the future 😊 Cathy x

Katie said...

Awesome card and love the periodic table alphas