23 Jan 2019

Year of the Pig - Fortune Cookie Basket - In My Heart Box by Simply Crafty SVGs



Hiya, This week I've had such fun playing with the In My Heart Box SVG File by Simply Crafty SVGs. I converted it into a basket for my homemade paper fortune cookies and added decorations to celebrate the forthcoming Chinese New Year - the year of the pig.

The designer Sandy, has made a fabulous video on how to put the basket together. In this post I've shown the alterations I made. I used my Silhouette Cameo and the Silhouette Studio software, but any changes I made can no doubt be replicated in other cutting software and with other machines.


Materials Used:
American Crafts textured card in Red
Kraft cardstock (heavyweight, 260gsm)
Antique Pearl Gold paper (120gsm)
Beacon 3-in-1 Adhesive
Black adhesive foam pads
Silhouette Cameo
Silhouette Pen Holder
Pentel Hybrid Gold pen

Files Used:
Simply Crafty SVGs In My Heart Box

Other Digital Files:
ZP Chinese Zodiac font by ScrapNfonts (for the pig icon)
Chinese Characters Love, Laugh, Live by Loni Harris



Basic Box/Basket
I cut the basic shape from kraft cardstock and then inked the edges with gold metallic stamping ink. The cutout heart won't show as it will be covered by a the decorative panels on the outside, and a new liner piece on the inside.



Handle
The two existing handle pieces were cut from kraft and red cardstock. I additionally made an internal offset on the red piece and cut that from gold paper.



Decorative Front Panels
In the software, I ungrouped the panel pieces and then released the compound path on the front panels and removed all the elements except the little heart swirl. I then cut these from red cardstock along with the plain side panels.



I inked the edges with gold ink and then adhered them to the box base. It was easier to adhere them while the base was still flat.



Gold Lining Pieces
I made lining pieces by making a slightly smaller version of the outside panels using an internal offset of both. I adhered these before assembling the box, but they would be better adhered after, as they would cover the internal flaps. Next time I'll do it differently!



Embellishments
The embellishments were made using the Sketch function, and a gold gel pen in the Silhouette Pen Holder on the reverse of the red textured card. For the pig an offset was made for the cut line. Then a further offset was made and cut from the gold paper. The pig was then adhered to the offset, and the whole thing mounted onto the box with adhesive foam pads. The Live, Laugh, Love characters were similarly drawn, cut out, and mounted on the front and sides of the box.



Fortune Cookies
The gold paper fortune cookies were simply made from circles of gold paper. To keep this post shorter, the instructions for the fortune cookies can be found in a separate post here.

This is the Simply crafty SVG file I used. Just click on one of the photos to visit the page in Simply Crafty SVGs online store.




Simply Crafty SVG Files:
In My Heart Box


9 comments:

jane stillman said...

A brilliant project and love the fortune cookies

Gwyneth said...

A lovely creation, and great to see some photos of how you constructed it.
GG

Jackie T said...

Hi Janet I love this project the basket and the piggy are so cute. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Kraftyscot (Donna) said...

Fabulous project...loving the fortune cookies!!
Hugs D xx

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Stunning work, love your die cuts

Jan said...

Love this Janet xx Jan

Sandy Stark said...

Such a great box for Chinese New Year! Love the pig, especially the use of the sketch pens.

Sylvia said...

Beautiful project for the Chinese New Year, love the sketching and the fortune cookies.

Sylv xx

Shabneez said...

Such a clever project for Chinese New Year Janet! Shabneez x